Tuesday 1st July to Wednesday 16th July
To commemorate the start of the First World War, Benfleet Community Archive in association with Essex Libraries are holding a two week show at Benfleet Library. The show covers aspects of life from 1914 to 1920 that affected people in Benfleet.
The heart of the show is the personal stories behind all 37 names on Benfleet War Memorial: where and when they were born, their parents, where they lived, where they served and how they died. We have some information for every name, but it could still be enhanced. At the March Show, where we showed a smaller version of this exhibition, we were given a photograph of one of the men who died. So we are hoping this will spur more memories and documents from people.
As well as this we are covering issues of how women and children were affected in the war as well as displaying a number of posters from the war.
The team will be there on some days to show artefacts, show facsimile and real documents, run movies from the period and answer questions.
The days the display is open are:
- Tuesday 1st July 9 am to 5.30 pm. From 10 am to 1 pm the members of the archive will be there and there will be an official opening by The Mayor of Castle Point.
- Wednesday 2nd July 9 am to 5.30 pm.
- Friday 4th July 9 am to 5.30 pm.
- Saturday 5th July 9 am to 5.30 pm. From 10 am to 1 pm the members of the archive will be there.
- Tuesday 8th July 9 am, to 5.30 pm.
- Wednesday 9th July 9 am to 5.30 pm. From 10 am to 1 pm the members of the archive will be there. Also it is Schools Day.
- Friday 11th July Library is Closed.
- Saturday 12th July 9 am to 5.30 pm. From 10am to 1 pm the members of the archive will be there.
- Tuesday 15th July 9 am to 5.30pm.
- Wednesday 16th July 9 am to 5.30pm. From 2 pm to 5 pm the members of the archive will be there to close down the show.
Please come along.